Saturday, February 25, 2012

Rescued Tail

By Suzanne

I adopted a dog from the SPCA in December 2010. I had been volunteering at the SPCA as a dog walker and was taking all the large dogs out (Pit Bulls, Great Danes, Boxers, etc.). At the end of my shift, I decided to take one of the little dogs out. His tag said he was a Yorkie.


When I approached his cage, he was staring up at me with his lost little black eyes. He got soooo excited when I led him outside. It seemed like he hadn’t been on a walk in a LONG time. My heart went out to him. Once we got outside though, it was another story. Not sure if it was the cold or the salt, but he lifted his little feet up and looked up at me to let me know they were hurting. I scooped him up to carry him back to his cage, and kissed his little head.


When I got back in, I pet him and scratched his little body. He had so many itches! He kept leaning against me and turning around so I could get to them all.


I led him back to his cage, but I didn’t want to leave him! I called my boyfriend, and after he saw that little face, we decided to adopt him. I had to wait until the next day, and it just broke my heart to leave him alone in that cage for even one more night.

The next day, I took him home, wrapped up a little blanket so he wouldn’t get cold. His fur had been cut very short when he arrived at the shelter because he was so dirty and matted. He also had a cough, and was a bit overweight. I was very excited not only to provide him with a good home, but to become his personal trainer, and to help him become fit and healthy.

I started to exercise him regularly and monitored his food intake, but soon discovered that no matter how fit he gets, his body will always be shaped like a little football!

Share your own story about rescuing a pet in the Comments for others to see!

No comments: